Ingredients for Kentucky KFC-style Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1 whole 4.5 pounds chicken, cut into pieces.
- 1.1 pound flour.
- 3 Tbsp sweet paprika.
- 1 tbsp. cayenne or spicy paprika.
- 1 tsp. garlic powder.
- 2 tsp. curry.
- 2 tsp. tarragon.
- 2 tsp. thyme.
- 2 tsp. dill.
- 2 tsp. marjoram.
- 2 tsp. salt and a little ground black pepper.
- 24 fl. oz. of water.
- 17 fl. oz. of soft olive oil for frying.
This recipe for fried chicken with a special batter that includes 11 spices, which are then fried under pressure.
The result is an extra crispy chicken with a special and characteristic flavor. Although the recipe has varied slightly today, this KFC-style fried chicken remains the brand’s emblem.
Its famous KFC formula ceased to be a secret in 1983, when writer William Poundstone unveiled the original method of preparation in his book Big Secrets. From the patent document of the recipe can be prepared at home almost as at their restaurants.
Although we can not make at home exactly the same chicken that we can eat in the premises of this stores.
I think that for now frying under pressure is not within my possibilities. But if we can prepare a recipe that resembles it a lot and that is also to suck your fingers.
I recommend that you try the recipe at home, it’s amazing. At home we prepare it almost as much as chicken with garlic or chicken fricassée.
There are a number of things to keep in mind. On the one hand it is advisable to use natural herbs and spices, if they are dry the taste will be quite reduced.
At the time of batter this should be coarse and irregular, without excessively draining the chicken dressing. I leave you the recipe of this wonderful fried chicken with its own flavor.
Before starting with the fried chicken.
- We ask our butcher to slice us a chicken or we buy it already sliced. At home we remove the skins and reserve the carcass and neck for further processing.
- In a large bowl we incorporate 10.6 oz of flour and mix with the following herbs and spices: 2 spoonfuls of sweet paprika, ½ spoonfuls of cayenne or hot paprika, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of curry, 1 teaspoon of tarragon, 1 teaspoon of thyme, 1 teaspoon of dill, 1 teaspoon of marjoram, 1 teaspoon of salt and ground black pepper.
- Mix the spices with the flour well with a fork. Add water mixing to integrate. We have to get a chubby cream consistency. It would be like the paste we use to make crepes, a thick cream.
- Put the chicken pieces in the cream and cover it with transparent paper.
- Let the chicken macerate in the sauce from one day to the next stored in the fridge.
Breading and preparation for the Kentucky KFC-style Fried Chicken Recipe
- The moment we start to prepare the fried chicken we start doing the batter. In a bowl, mix the rest of the spices with 0.5 pounds of flour.
- Before proceeding to batter the chicken, we put to the fire a deep casserole with abundant soft oil to fry. When the oil is very hot we begin to batter the meat.
- With a fork we take one of the pieces of chicken, without draining, this is important, we pass it directly to the bowl of the batter of flour and spices.
- Cover the chicken with the batter and put it directly into the hot oil. It is important not to drain the chicken from the maceration sauce. Since it will be the mixture of the liquid of the sauce with the flour of the batter the one that will make that thick and super crunchy layer at the moment of frying.
- Cook the chicken until it is well browned. Always regulating the temperature of the fire to get it to cook inside.
- If necessary, at the end of the process we can pass the chicken through the oven at 390 ºF for 10 minutes to make sure it is well cooked inside.
Serve the freshly made fried chicken to maintain its crispness, accompanied by the sauce you like best, curry or barbecue are perfect options.
This is a perfect dish for dinner with friends, those of film and beer, enjoy it.
Curiosities about this fried chicken
- The year 1939 was the origin of one of the largest fast food chains in the United States. Today, what began with a restaurant in Salt Lake City, Utah, has become a giant with more than 18,000 restaurants in 120 countries.
- On its menu you’ll find a few chicken recipes for which it’s famous around the world. I’m talking about Kentucky Fried Chicken®, KFC, whose founder, Colonel Harland D. Sanders, created a recipe for fried chicken that led to success, KFC-style fried chicken.
For further information you can visit:
Maybe you are also looking for: